Last week I visited Google Australia. They are getting pretty keen to share with marketing agencies how best to sell Adwords. For your benefit I made some notes since you may either be selling to businesses, considering selling to businesses or perhaps you are a business.
Maybe you just want to know how Google ‘think’ and operate. The meeting reminded me how new this industry is and how far it is going to go. We covered Adwords, Marketing, People, Innovation and Design.
PPC Techniques Update
- Reporting can be customized so be sure to select the columns you want and not too many. (Avoid column bloat, keep it lean).
- Focus on conversions because they make you money and are also an indicator of high quality (the all important relevance).
- The new ‘top versus side report’ shows a client where where ads appear on the page.
- Screen for quality. Filter quality score by ‘low but getting impressions’ to see where you can tune the campaign.
- Make sure your pages are very relevant to the search phrase and topic. If they are weak bolster landing page.
- Make ad groups better (by that she means smaller).
- Segment by device (Mobile is hot the last 6-8 months) ‘Mobile only’ can significantly increase conversions.
- See ‘search terms’ report and create new content based on the new long tail phrases.
- Use a ‘geo report’ filtering impressions by minimum.
- ‘Best day of the week’ report helps you schedule ads and adjust bids for your sweet spot.
- Location shows in seo results so be sure to include it for local businesses
- Shopping extensions are HOT. (There exists a huge Merchant feed optimization opportunity for providers). Make sure pictures are big enough. Just increasing image size will show you higher more often!
- Get serious about shopping feed management
Checklist for Adwords campaign tuning
- CPC x quality score = rank score
- Make sure your Ad groups are well structured
- Two to four keyword combos work bets for buyer intent and relevancy
- Use the extensive free training available from Google
- Use $75 vouchers from google to get started (I have some if you need them)
- Comprehend – helping the business owner become aware of the possibilites.
- Connect – building relationship rapport so that a trusted conversation is possible.
- Educate – putting forward factual information to help bridge the gap.
- Ask questions – fully understand and resolve all areas of doubt or uncertainty.
- Pitch – suggest the solution.
- Close – make an agreement.
Here are some Google opportunity sizing tools that really help you gather facts and data to help your pitch:
Compelling reasons why Adwords is the perfect story for business owners..
- Urgency – campaigns can be set up very quickly
- Solve problems – people are already searching for solutions online
- Reporting gives you measurability. No wastage.
- Demonstrate success with conversion goals and excellent metrics
- Proof – profit can be traced directly to the source
- Presence ( branding ) can be increased because it adds to other mediums
- Leverages website investments by increasing traffic
- Can be adapted to whatever the current business strategy is
- Get an advantage on competitors who do not use paid traffic
- Fastest potential for scalable business growth
- Pay only for clicks you use.
- Easy way to measure success.
- Scope change instantly.
- Flex your budget as required.
- People do not remember URL’s. They search within 3 days of hearing advertising
- Call tracking per campaign leverages PPC more
- 92% of Australians are Internet users (more reach)
- Ads can be run in multiple media formats
- Google offers virtual CPA
- Partners spread ads further
- Use the Adplanner for target audience selection
- Use ad builder templates for banners
- 300 size banner is very popular
- 728 size banners are the most displayed
- Choose sites to advertise on
- CPC by industry varies but is standardized – Finance and travel are the most mature industry categories for paid advertising
- 50-100 new products are launched each week by Google
- Innovation is about being open
- Example: Openness about sharing open source like Chrome and Android
- Sharing source code floats all boats in the industry
- Change is the most important element
- User decides how to best use technology in the end
- Flat hierarchy
- Small teams
- Pragmatic long term thinking
- Ideas + technology
- Befriend a geek
- Audacious place big bets
- Think big
- Fail fast
- It is Easier to attract people to big challenges
Things the team have developed that they are proud of:
- Gmail had 250 times more storage than competitor at launch.
- Adwords was the worlds first real time PPC auction.
- News by topic not source.
- (Even though Buzz failed and Wave failed they pushed html5 browsers forward).
- Google docs
- 15 million consumers use the internet every month
- 9 million people in Australia are on Facebook
- 5o percent thought it is not relevant.
- 27 percent lack the time budget or knowledge. Perception: cost, complex, time suck.
- 12 percent never considered it.
- Note: Almost all use Internet personally.
- 25 percent of businesses who have a website wanted to upgrade or revamp the website they already have
- Follow the user and everything else will follow
- Don’t design with our own set of bias
- Think clearly about who is receiving our message
- Design for a primary persona (Even triplets are very different)
- How do people change over time
- Be aware of experience around you
- Account for triggers and influences
- What is the business goal?, what does the user want?, what do you want?
- First and foremost provide something the user needs and user wants.
- We are in the world of perpetual beta.
- Release by ‘Dogfooding’ to the 28000 Google employees.
- Survey users. Who are they? What do they want to do?
- Shadow people.
- Conduct Percent experiments.
- Keep things ‘Dustbuster binary simple’ ie: one button!
- Question everything
- Design with someone in mind
- Test test test
On a closing note, I queried the policy of ‘openness’ v the lack of phone support and they advised that Phone support will be coming on board during business hours…
Oh yeah – they were also surprisingly quiet about Google +
Please comment below:
IMPORTANT NEWS – Time Sensitive
Mike Rhodes a World Class PPC Marketer and I are running an 8 Week PPC Masterclass starts 9 Aug. It should be obvious from this post that when you have a high level PPC skill you are able to help the vast majority of business owners (or yourself) WITHOUT COMPETITION. They lack the skills, time and resource to learn this themselves.
To rate the podcast, head over to iTunes.